Saturday 27 August 2016

Two Month Update!

Helloooo,

So I'm utterly useless at writing posts because I'm sometimes busy, sometimes lazy. It also takes me like 47 hours to write anything because I keep getting used to using an AZERTY keyboard at work so using this one is so tricky, I make so many mistakes. So far everytime I've tried to write a full stop, I've written a "<" out of habit.

Bois de la Cambre with Machi, Kristi and Emi
BUT an update is needed because I want to keep track of what's going on with me and how I feel about my year abroad etc, etc because my feelings have already changed so much since I arrived and I think it'll be interesting to read this at the end of the six months!

Couleur Café with Jolien and Tom
So without further ado:

Work 
Work is pretty good! We've been working on a big project recently so I've been crazy busy and spending looooong hours in work trying to get it done but I think it's hopefully all finished now! I was also getting pretty stressed about work in the past week, but I think I'm over it now haha. I had a super early start the other day where I got into work at 7am to finish something I was working on. It wasn't actually that bad to be honest and it won me some serious brownie points so it was worth it. I still don't speak at lunch which is frustrating because I wish I was confident enough to just chat but it's really hard to speak in front of so many people. But I try and make conversation with people when I'm in a smaller group so that they know I'm not antisocial or anything, just not overly confident.
"Roulades de Printemps" (Spring Rolls) with work - very different from our small, deepfried ones!
In terms of the actual work I'm doing, I still haven't done loads of translation but I think I'll be doing a lot more this week which is good as I need to improve! My first lot of feedback wasn't bad but I have a lot of room for improvement as well. I'm hoping that the more I practice, the better I'll get. Practice makes perfect, right?

Life in general
Life is goooood! I love Belgium so so so much, it's the cutest place in history and everybody is so lovely and I'm just very happy here. I really don;t want to leave at all and if I had to choose now I would come straight back here after I graduate. There's so much to do so I'm always out at language meet ups, choir practice or just general activities haha. It makes it a lot easier to meet people. I'm not somebody who calls people friends straight away, but there are a lot of people here that I get on with v well and have lots of fun spending time with.
The queue outside Primark!!!
I also love how close Brussels is to everything, since Belgium is such a small place. So far I've visited Leuven, Ypres, Gent, Zeeland (the Netherlands) and Berlin (Germany). I'll hopefully write some posts about Berlin, Gent and Zeeland and upload them here so you can read about my escapades.

Other than that, not much to say really! My friends are finally starting to go on their year abroads now so I don't feel like the only person living in a foreign country. It's hard not to compare my experiences with other peoples, but since I'm having so much fun I don't really care. I feel like other people post more pictures with their friends, but I know that I have friends and that I'm happy so the fact that we don't have any selfies together isn't really an issue haha.


Visiting the Flower Carpet with mum and dad! 
Sampling the local cuisine and being educated in local beers!
Anyway, until next time!
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author